Starting an advertising agency can be very lucrative. Today a lot of companies are looking for a platform they can advertise their products and services.
One thing about this business is that it can be done with a modest investment and may be run out of a home office. Advertising agencies really make money in a number of ways. Before you think of setting up the business you must first decide what type of agency you wish to operate. For example, traditional advertising agencies create slogans and advertising copy to be used in print, billboard, radio, web and television ads in return for development fees and expenses. More specialized advertising agencies deal strictly with web advertising. They may still create the advert copy, but are specialists in search engine optimization and keyword search tactics to get adverts noticed and generate per-click income. Before you think of setting up an advertising agency the following are what you need to take into consideration.
1. You need to decide what type of advertising agency you wish to run, and list the services you will offer. Some Larger agencies may offer a number of services, while smaller agencies may specialize in internet, print media, radio, television, signage or other visual advertising media.
2. You really need to obtain a local business permit from your town hall, state tax certificate from your state’s business regulatory office and federal tax identification number from the Internal Revenue Service. There are no special licenses to operate an advertising agency.
3. Try as much as possible to set up your office with a computer, printer, phone, fax, furniture and supplies. Your office may be run from your home, but try as much as possible to make sure that it is away from household noise and other distractions. A dedicated phone and fax line is recommended for professionalism, and you will require reliable high-speed Internet service.
4. Before you think of setting up the business you need to purchase a digital camera, photo scanner and graphic arts design program such as the ad and printing industry standard, Adobe Creative Suite (optional). You may choose to outsource your design work, but will have to pay design fees.
5. Again you really need to get business cards, stationery, brochures and other printed marketing materials from your local printer. You can still build a website. To build a website, purchase a domain and hosting package, and publish your website.
6. Try as much as possible to create a list of local and regional businesses who may be interested in your services. Maintain the list on a spreadsheet or database program for reference and marketing purposes.
7. You also need to contact newspapers, magazines, television stations and other advertising media offices to request rate sheets. These sheets list the type and costs of advertising with their company. Most offer an average 10 percent discount off ad rates for agencies, but always inquire to be certain.
8. All business requires marketing. Try as much as possible to create an execute marketing campaign to the companies on your prospect list. Your campaign may use elements of direct mail of marketing materials, emails and phone calls.
9. You really need to join local business organizations to network with other business owners and get your name out there. In the advertising business, relationships, visibility and creativity are the keys to getting your first account.
The following are what you really need for you to be successful in the business.
Hope this article is helpful to you. Wish you all the best in the business.