Potato has become an essential commodity for every household. Potato can be used in different ways to prepare meal. In some countries potato is seen as a poor man food which can be used to solve the problem of hunger. On this article we are going to discuss the step by steps on how to start potato farming.
Some health benefits of potatoes
The following are some of the health benefits of potatoes:
1. Potatoes are very rich in vitamin B6
2. Potatoes are a good source of vitamin C.
3. Potatoes are very rich in vitamin D, vitamin D helps to build healthy bones.
4. One thing about sweet potatoes is that they contain iron and also they support a healthy immune system.
5. Another good thing about sweet potatoes is that they are a good source of mag¬nesium, which is the relaxation and anti-stress mineral.
6. Potatoes are also a source of potassium.
7. One good thing about sweet potatoes is that it does not cause blood sugar spikes.
8. Another good thing about sweet potatoes is that it helps to ward off cancer and protect against the effects of aging.
Tips on how to plant potatoes
The following are tips on how to start potato planting:
1. To start planting you have to plant seed potato zero to two weeks after last spring frost.
2. Anytime you are ready to start planting your potatoes, you can start planting earlier, once the soil has been worked, but don’t forget that some crops will be ruined by a frost.
3. Whenever you are cutting up potato pieces for planting, make sure you do so 1-2 days ahead of time. Actually, this will give them the chance to “heal” and form a protective layer, both for moisture retention and rot resistance.
4. Also try as much as possible to spread and mix in rotted manure or organic compost in the bottom of the trench before planting.
5. When planting the potatoes make sure you plant seed potatoes one foot apart in a 4-inch deep trench, eye side up.
6. Try as much as possible to always practice yearly crop rotation system.
Tips on how to care for your potatoes
The following are tips on how to care for your potatoes:
1. One thing about potatoes is that they thrive in well-drained, loose soil.
2. One thing again about potatoes is that they need consistent moisture, so try as much as possible to always water regularly when tubers start to form.
3. Try as much as possible to hill the potatoes every couple of weeks to protect your crop.
Tips on how to harvest your potatoes
The following are tips on how to harvest your potatoes:
1. The time you should harvest your potatoes depends on what type of potatoes you have planted. For early-season potatoes take approximately 60–70 days to mature.
2. If you actually wants to get the biggest and the best potatoes you can harvest when after the plant’s foliage has died back. Cut browning foliage to the ground and wait 10–14 days before harvesting to allow the potatoes to develop a thick enough skin.
3. Whenever you want to harvest make sure you dig the potatoes on a dry day. Try as much as possible to dig up gently, make sure you are careful not to puncture the tubers. The soil should not be compact, so digging should be easy.
4. Make sure you allow freshly dug potatoes to sit in a dry, cool place (45°–60°F) for up to two weeks. Doing this will make their skins to “cure,” which will help them keep for longer period.
5. It is strongly advice that new potatoes should not be cured and should be eaten within a few days of harvest, as they will not keep for much longer period.
These are the tips on how to start potatoes farming. Hope this article is helpful to you. Wish you all the best.